This is the perfect dish to transition from Winter to Spring. The soup is deliciously warming and comforting, while the beetroot make it light and fresh. We'd recommend serving with some coriander and some spinach leaves!
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, largely diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 can chopped or peeled tomatoes
- 2 medium carrots, largely diced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- a pinch of sea salt
- sprig of coriander for serving
- yoghurt for serving, plant-based or dairy will work!
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil on a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, beetroot, carrots, cumin, cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Add enough water to cover the vegetables, cover partially and summer over a low heat until the vegetables are tender. This should take about 1 hour. Then, remove from the heat and leave to cool for at least 30 mins.
- Once the flavours have developed, reheat the soup over a medium heat. Serve with a sprig of coriander and a dollop of your favourite yoghurt.